Margaret Ogilvie Almshouses were constructed in 1926 and are Grade II Listed. The building is constructed in part facing brick, part block-work and part rendered external walls with applied stained timber framework. Early Crittal metal casement window openings with leaded lights are contained within a stone surround divided by stone mullions and the roof is covered with plain clay tiles.
The layout of each of the twelve dwellings that make up the almshouses fell well below current standards and we were asked to upgrade and refurbish the entire building in order to bring it up to date whilst remaining within the conservation requirements of a listed building.
Circulation spaces were reconfigured in order to optimise the available accommodation. Kitchen and bathroom spaces were completely overhauled, converting small bathrooms to wet rooms with level access showers and new sanitary ware.
All gas and electrical heating and hot water systems were upgraded and the entire building was fitted out with a patent internal wall lining system together with additional loft insulation. All the windows have received secondary glazing to increase insulation and to preserve the existing metal windows.
The electrical installation was also upgraded to comply with current standards and repairs were carried out to the roof, decorative stonework and the external rendering. The result is an historic, listed building which is now fit for 21st century living.